Sunday, August 4, 2013

This Is It.

Dawn came and went. I stirred and left the cemetery around 9. I had some lovely descents and more painful climbs. The trees and dirt gave way to homes and restaurants. I was back in well populated territory. I ate at a Subway and smoked a cigarette with a homeless man attempting to sell his tent for $17 to catch a bus to Lake Tahoe. He eventually found some takers who sympathized with the poor, old man and gave him a ride to Lake Tahoe.

I continued onward. 

My 4th flat tire of the entire trip emitted air out into the sweltering Saturday afternoon. I cursed and went off to the side of the road. This tube had gotten a hole in it before but I had bandaged it shut with some special tire glue. I put another bandage over the second leak, pumped it full of air and continued upward.

I stopped in the towns of Folsom and Placerville, wandering. I went to a library in Folsom and attempted to find a couchsurfer for the night in Sacramento. On such short notice, I thought I would have to camp again but I surprisingly got several responses. One of them was Jack Cogs. 

After an incredibly beautiful, scenic and slow 15 miles on a bike path into Sacramento, I left nature to find Jack's apartment downtown. There was a bike lane; I liked California already. Eventually, I met Jack and his buddy Boyd outside his apartment complex. I couldn't have asked for two more welcoming gentleman. Long story short, the night ended up with me passed out, sitting up, on Jack's couch. In the morning, I found Justin sleeping across from me on a chair. Jack treated the two of us to breakfast at "Bacon and Butter", which was as delicious as the name implied. 

The night was loads of fun but the true pleasure was getting to know Justin, Jack and Boyd. My memory is a bit fuzzy but the feelings aren't. These guys took me in off the street and treated me like family, hell, even better than family. I was treated cold beers all night long. I felt like a freeloader but it was amazing. People never cease to utterly amaze me with their kindness. I have fond memories of Sacramento.

Jack actually went to college in Carbondale, IL. He was living in an apartment one floor above Boyd who was one floor above a bar. Boyd just moved in a few days ago and had hit it off with Jack. Jack works as an insurance fraud investigator at home for Geico. It seemed like a pretty sweet job. We have plans to possibly meet up in San Francisco. Speaking of which, I'm only 40 miles away. Tis the end... or is it the beginning?

I was lazy today. I got halfway out of Sacramento and realized I'd forgotten my Camelback and wallet at "Bacon and Butter". They were holding it for me. The ride back was nice and I really enjoyed meandering back through the city in the bike lanes. Currently, I'm in a hotel in Davis for my last hurrah. 

There was a bike path that ran parallel to the busy highway into Davis. Along the path, while listening to music and seeing a clear distance ahead of over 20 miles in length, I suddenly felt a pang in my stomach. Without warning, my eyes started watering and my body got goosebumps. I was overcome with emotion. My mind drifted out of my body and I seemed to glide along, feeling so joyous, so... free. There was no feeling of sadness, just a profound happiness. I'd come so far, met so many wonderful souls, seen so many beautiful things. I was at total peace... 

It's all coming to a head. The days of wandering the road are almost at an end. I can't wait to see what the future holds in store for me. The world is a wonderful place and this journey has spelled that out plainly to me. I'm ready for it.

Enough with the sentimental ish. Here's how I felt about my flat tire.

The bike path on the way to Sacramento from Folsom.

I stopped by the Sacramento River for a brief moment of calm.

Sacramento

Boyd, me, and Jack... the beginning of the end.

        The Sacramento city capital?

My sudden, intense feeling of oneness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment