Thursday, August 1, 2013

What Kindred Souls You Have

Yesterday, things started off grandly. First, I went to a local donut shop owned by a Japanese family that was so friendly. So friendly, in fact, that I went back the next morning just to see the cashier's smile again. It really was a positive impact. After indulging in some delicious and cheap donuts, I went to a bike shop that my host, Jenny, had recommended.

It took me a little bit of time to find the correct direction toward "Bike Smith's Bike Shop" but when I did, I couldn't have been happier with the results. The owner, Jimmy, readjusted both wheelsto spin correctly (they weren't "true"), fixed my front brake, and just as I was leaving, they screwed my little biking bell back in. The thing had been loose for about a month and I hadn't heard it tinkle since Illinois. I was ecstatic about that part the most. BUT, the most wonderful part of the whole ordeal, was that Jimmy did all this for free. I couldn't believe it. I shook the man's hand several times before leaving, unsure how to truly express my gratitude. 

I made contact with Annika (couchsurfing buddy from Cedar City, UT) and we arranged to meet up at Fuji Park. I hung out there for about half an hour before they pulled up. 

There was no shortage of happy conversation on the drive up to Lake Tahoe. We recounted our trips since the last time we'd seen each other while slowly ascending the 2000 ft. to our destination. When the lake came into view, the air in my lungs came rushing out as I saw its true vastness. Surrounded on all sides by mountains; the largest lake (2nd deepest) in the United States did not dissapoint. We found an overlook and parked amongst the circus of tourists.

We spent the entire day laying down on the rocky shore, soaking up the sun. The water was crystal clear. Leaping from the rocks, the clearness gave the appearance that the rocky lake floor was much closer than it was. I remember at one moment, I was laying down on my stomach looking at Annika with her eyes closed. Beyond her head, the mountains stretched far above the glimmering water and the sun beat down on our bodies. I could hear the water lapping the rocks, meticulously sculpting, carving, and eroding the hard structures into curious figures. Every now and again, the water would smash at an angle into the rock and spray the three of us. I remember looking and thinking, "Is this a dream? This is far too beautiful, too perfect".

We stayed there over 4 hours, doing nothing in particular.

Upon returning to Carson City, I got spaghetti and meatballs to cook for Jenny. She'd been at work since 8 and didn't feel comfortable with anyone being in the house until she returned at 7. So, I came home when she did and promptly got to cooking. We feasted. Afterward, I went into a food coma. I went to bed early around 9 and woke up early around 7.

I made hot cocoa and got my stuff together. Coincidentally, the post office was directly next door and I got my packages; one awesome letter from my sister and the tent poles! I was ready for the road.

The day's ride followed a scenic route through Genoa; the oldest settlement in Nevada (1851), founded by who else? The pioneers of the West, those adventurous Mormans. Genoa also boasted having the oldest "thirst parlour" in Nevada. I had to get a beer and check it out. 

Well, I was almost like a C-list celebrity there and I got a couple drinks from the owner, Willie and a good man named Javier. I learned lots about the town from both men. Did you know the animal that kills the most people every year is a deer? Anyway, I got pretty good and buzzed before beginning the looming climb of Carson Pass. I just started the celebration a tad early.

The evening before, I had spoken to Annika and came to find that Carson Pass is less than 10 miles from their couchsurfing host. So, we arranged to meet up at an old, dirt road at an intersection.

It was a looong, painful climb of only 12 miles or so but it felt like an eternity. The vast array of cars that came speeding past me didn't help things and I was still fighting strong headwinds. Eventually, I made it to the road, hid my bike, and laid down by the entrance to read and await Annika and Monica.

Annika and Monica picked me up about an hour later. We sped to their couchsurfing house but the host was at work. In the meantime, we unwound with a movie and some beers. As it got dark and we got restless, went to meet up with one of the four hosts, Nick. 

Nick worked at a German-themed bar named Himmel Haus. There was some kind of event occuring there supporting local art. I stuck out like a sore thumb in my homeless sweatshirt and basketball shorts. Apparenty it fit the art theme though because the photographer seemed to keep flashing pictures of me. Amongst all the fancy people, it was also apparent that Annika, Monica, and I were having the most fun. It seemed like everyone else was doing their best to appear suave and cool.

Nick was awesome! He was around my age and had been moving all over the West Coast for awhile. He'd been in South Lake Tahoe for a few months but he really enjoyed the slowness to it. We talked for a long time outside the bar.

Eventually, it came time to leave the bar. Annika and Monica needed to get their rental car back to San Francisco by 3 the next day. So, after some downtime with Nick and the other host Jerry at the house, we all went to bed.

                      Lake Tahoe

              Leaving Carson City

Genoa had deer everywhere. I attempted to get close to them, then later learned ominously of their vicious bloodlust.




Oh yeah, I crossed the border into Cali.

Ughh, beginning the climb of Carson Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment