Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Constant Contradiction: The Paradox of a Technology Era Youth in the Wilderness

I didn't get far today... and I don't mind. In between Boulder and the next town of Escalante, there is a 30 mile stretch of the 1.7 million acre Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument; an enormous, empty barren land set aside by President Clinton in 1996. The spellbinding terrain twisted and turned through miles of eroded rock. At one point I was at the zenith of the park (I think) gawking at the limitless landscape only to descend into the lowest point... and then back up again.

After the final scenic overlook, I noted a small dirt road that led to another "scenic overlook". This one had a radio tower extending from it with a concrete hut next to it. I pedaled up the extra 100 feet, then climbed atop the concrete hut. God lay before me. I sat up there for a good while, even taking a short nap. Eventually, I left for the final 10 miles into Escalante.

I stopped at the visitor center and was met by the enthusiastic Karen. Karen had recently moved to the area with her husband, was in her late 40's, and explained to me the general populace of Escalante; retirees. When she learned of my little bike trip, she gripped my wrist expressing her excitement. She was a real charcter. I was literally starving though and she recommended a handul of restaurants. All I heard was Subway. 

So off I was to Subway to rejuvenate. I then planned on taking off toward the town of Henrieville 40 miles away. A thunderstorm caused me to wait a bit. In the span I waited, the winds picked up and the storm looked to be an all-night event. I went inside the lobby of a motel to organize myself.

Within this motel, I met the kind owner by the name of Dan. He had relocated from Michigan to get away from his crazy divorcee and accept a job as a hotel manager. A weekly salary, and apartment comes with the job; not a bad gig. The man walked with considerable joint pain and seemed to have a memory that often betrayed him but he was nice to talk to. He spoke of the high moral values of the town because of the Mormon faith and the lack of drug problems with what youth existed.

From Dan's motel, I called the campground across the street, which brought me in contact with the pleasant host, Andre. Andre would allow me to hang out on the office porch for an hour, watching the storm and using his wifi. When I finally decided to stay, he gave me a gracious 10% discount. Every time I've left the campground on my bike, he's given a neighborly wave upon each exit and entrance.

Another guy I had the pleasure of seeing again was Michael. I don't know if I brought him up on the blog but we've crossed each other once daily for the past three days. Our first acquaintence at Hite, we spent about half an hour chatting in the middle of the 100 degree heat. The next day, we chatted for forty five minutes. Today, as I spotted him pedaling past the campground, I waved at him and he cycled over to me. An hour long conversation ensued. Michael's an awesome kid. He's a year younger than me, has a girlfriend he's crazy about, and pretty cool parents who biked with him through two states. He's also cycling solo. Despite being youner than me, I look up to him. He's one of the few guys on the trip that really gets it and he has a good head on his shoulders.

After Michael left, I got ice cream and biked a mile up the road to the Escalante State Park to go on a hike. I ventured off the monotonously tepid trail looping all around the face of the mountain. I scaled straight up it for the best view. 

I am currently sitting in a blue, metal chair with a small wiry table of equal design in front of me. My bare feet are extended upon the table and the sun is retreating behind the large mound of rock directly ahead. I can hear an amateur guitarist playing chords somewhere in the campground. The tone is social yet quiet and calming. Within this campground, there is a mutual understanding or attempt to intertwine with the natural surroudings, despite the gargantuan RV's and emissive, spewing, walled-in motor vehicles. There is a strong attempt. Why pay money to experience what comes naturally? Because despite all our technological dependencies, we still yearn for the instinctual, genetic relationship with our home; the natural planet. 

       One portion of the Escalante Grand Staircase Park

From my scenic route to the top of this little mountain. Before me is the reservoir of the Escalante State Park.


                               Sunset in Escalante.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos as usual! And you seem able to get your daily share of ice cream, no matter where you are! haha

    ReplyDelete