Sunday, July 21, 2013

What a Blissful Bike Ride.

I gripped my temple and drowsily blinked my eyes as my dehydrated contacts moved in and out of focus. I walked the 14 blocks home the evening before and collapsed into a huge beanbag chair. Glancing around, Brazil and Monika looked like the hardest hit from the night before while Anika and the DD, Adam, were preparing for their trip into Bryce Canyon for the day. 

I stirred. 

Before I left, I gave a solid goodbye to the four foreigners and watched them drive off from whence I came. Andy was at work but his roommate Kim was up. He had caught a cold the day before and was spending his time playing video games sitting on the couch. I got a powerful sense of nostalgia seeing that. I came to the realization I haven't played a video game in more than 2 months, which is crazy for me. 

Kim provided me with an old, wool sweater after learning that mine had shrunk three sizes too small a few days ago when I put it in the washer. I was ecstatic. I gave Kim a big hug and made my way out of town; all downhill. 

20 miles were covered quickly and the wide open fields of desert started presenting themselves. I thought I was already in Nevada but there's still another days ride for that. I passed an old abandoned farm and miles of desert shrubs. At one point, the downhill ended and for a brief period of time, I was exerting a fair amount of force on each individual pedal. Then, a sign came into view reading: "Summit 6750". Huh.

I rolled into the small town of Minersville (est. 1859) with speed still on my side. Withered faces and gnarled hands peppered the town's older men. There were kids wandering about on bicycles and hanging out at the local gas station I was in. I smoked a cigarette with the cashier, Ashley, and we talked about the weather.

Off toward Milford with winds of 20 mph pushing me those last 14 miles. I zoomed in at the speed of light, only realizing the boosting effects of the wind when I turned around and battled it to gather some flowers I had passed. I put the bouquet onto my bike, and entered Milford in my Sunday's best. 

Milford was a big story in 2007 when the largest wildfire in Utah history burned over 320,000 acres-worth of foilage. The fire's history was still visible on the scenery of those 56 miles from Cedar City. This is a funny little town; parts look desolate and abandoned while other parts are brimming with excitement. 

I've met up with the old MS team again and Michael's here as well. Tomorrow is 84 miles without water or food. Half of the MS crew is sleeping under the town park picnic structure with me, another half have taken shelter within the town hotel. 

I'm looking forward to the sunrise tomorrow morning.





Blazing a trail out of Cedar City, all downhill.

I guess that was a small mountain...10 or so miles out of Minersville

                Entering Minersville 

Home base at the Milford County Park. Sleeping on picnic tables. Last time I did this, I slept like a prince. 

No comments:

Post a Comment