Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Narcotic Effects of Freedom

I had a dream last night.

There was a giant environmental catastrophe; another oil spill in a large body of water. I recall that a very young man of Indian ethnicity, in his mid 20's, was head honcho for the clean-up squad. He was in charge of how the mess was going to be fixed. All of the men who had to do the physical work were old, wearing business suits and leather shoes. I remember everyone running together down toward the spill with me leading the way. I went crashing into the water of the spill first and started trying to uselessly get the oil out. Turning toward the men in the suits, I saw one sitting down attempting to get his pristine, leather shoes off. I walked over to him, said something nasty, and woke up.

I left Ely around 7:30 after picking up a package from the post office that had arrived late. The ride today was absolutely grand. 

US-50 gets the name of "The Loneliest Road in America" yet I got brushed by 3 or 4 cars today and I still saw waaay more vehicles than I would've liked. Only one time did I hear absolute silence without the faint buzzing of a car coming down the road. The trash alongside the road also negates from the humanoid impact: the Subway plastic bag, McDonalds cup, QT cup, 711 plastic cup, water bottle, rubber car tire, rubber bike tire, baby's diaper, Natural Light can, Budweiser can, car mirror, car bumper, bungee cord, pizza box, Popeyes container, Coors Light 30 box, lighter, empty pack of cigarettes, cigarettes, ect.

At one point in the middle of the basin, I stopped to meditate. Afterwards, I felt really positive and ready to continue riding. Before doing so, I picked up as many cans and bottles as I could with both hands and lined them up across both lanes. Most blew away before I took off.

Up the next mountain and into the next basin, I grew tired and slept under a small Juniper tree. An hour and a half later, I went down the basin and up another summit. 

At the top of Little Antelope Summit is where I have decided to camp for tonight. The town of Eureka is 15 miles from here and I'll leave early tomorrow morning to get breakfast in town. 

The place that I've decided to camp is about a 2-3 mile hike from the road, beyond barbwire fencing, and about another 1,000-2,000 feet higher up from the road. I had to make several trips to lug all my shit up here but... it actually feels worth it. This is one of the most peaceful, quiet, and serene moments of the trip with an incredible view to boot. I'm not setting up a tent tonight. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't rain but I want to be totally out in the elements. I should have a nice sunset and sunrise. 

:)

I've found it's best many times to look at what you've already traversed as opposed to what's ahead.

The first summit of the four on the way to Eureka. I have one more tomorrow.

Another fenced off area, I stopped here for a small lunch. A cop passed and just gave a friendly wave.

   Taking a nap in some sort of shade.

Camping atop my home for the evening.

                    Good mornin

2 comments:

  1. Ralph - I wanted to send a quick note to wish you well as you continue your journey westward. Your blog posts have become a daily ritual that I thoroughly enjoy. Safe travels! Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lt, Dan! The comments are always appreciated!

      Delete