Monday, July 29, 2013

Interwoven Within the Human DNA; Love

I wrote yesterday's blog within the confines of a small study room in Fallon's local library. As I typed, I could feel the lack of sleep beginning to take hold. Shortly after I noticed my drowsiness, it was too late. My head drooped down onto my left arm and before I knew it, I was waking up in a pool of my own saliva with my arm half-asleep, and two hours of lost time. Thank you to the Churchill County Library for allowing me to drool on your tables.

I stayed at the library another hour, reading, and enjoying being a bum. Then, I went to "Highway 50's Best Little Museum". It was an awesome museum and it was free. I stayed there an hour, made some calls, and enjoyed the slowness of the day.

I decided that I was going to stay in Fallon with Andy and his wife Deb if they would have me. I left a message on Andy's voicemail and went to get dunch (lunch and dinner?). Halfway through my exquisite meal of KFC, Andy called me and told me to come on through. The day was shaping up to be a mighty fine one. 

Riding up to Andy and Deb's house, I saw a beautiful ranch equipped with two horses, two chocolate labs, and a chicken coop. Deb was consoling her horses when I rolled through; she was waiting for the veterinarian. Moonie and  Handee were both experiencing eye problems. The veterinarian that came upon the scene was a youthful, thin, attractive blonde-haired woman with an immaculately friendly personality.

Over the course of the next two hours, I played doctor's assistant to Emily the Vet. A botfly had laid eggs on the inside of Moonie's eyelid and Emily had to squeeze the eggs out. It made my skin crawl. Handee's eyes were just irritated and there was no big problem. Just when it appeared like all was solved, Moonie laid down on his side for the second time that day. Like an anxious mother, Deb wanted to ensure that this wasn't the sign of something bigger. The next operation commenced.

Emily injected the horse in the neck with a sedative and after a few minutes, its head drooped in what can only be peculiarly described as a "waking daydream". It was still standing but obviously out of it. Emily got a bucket of water, and a small tube of 2 feet in length. She started to insert the tube through the horse's nose and began siphoning the stomach's contents to see what came out; just a lot of bile, a good sign. After that, Deb pumped a bunch of "mineral oil" into Moonie's stomach through the tube. Then, it was finished. I was absolutely astounded by the professionalism shown by Emily. In general, I was just astounded. I'd never seen anything like that.  

I almost forgot about Andy! Andy came home shortly before the vet began her procedures but he had to go to work. He casially said, "Yeah, I've got to do some bombing runs tonight". 

"I'm sorry?" I asked. "Did you say bombing? Like the explosives?"

Andy is in the military and the vast Nevada desert is apparently "perfect" for target practice. This is also why its been called the atomic capital of the world for all the thermonuclear fun we dropped out here in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Andy went to work and noted he would be returning around 1 o'clock in the morning. I gave the gracious man a firm handshake before he drove away.

Deb let me get a shower and wash my clothes. She also cooked for me! I couldn't help but feel burdensome and slightly guilty but those feelings vanished when I bit into her BBQ chicken and grilled quesadilla. Deb is an incredibly social person and we talked endlessly for the next few hours. She has two daughters; one married and living in Japan (Navy husband) and the other finishing up school not too far from Fallon. Deb was like a second mother. I'm fairly certain I talked far too much but with Deb, I didn't feel the usual guilt I do. She patiently listened and would comment/give advice on what I said. The woman's a saint.

After we watched a show on tv called Love it or List It(?), it was time for bed. I took my clothes out of the dryer and went eagerly outside to my sleeping quarters. With a broken tent, I was sleeping on Deb's trampoline. If you haven't slept on one of these badboys before, you're severely missing out. I was on Cloud 9. The thing knocked me out within moments.

This morning, I'm having breakfast at her restaurant again. However, I've insisted on paying for the delicious eats because they're too good to be free. I'm sitting here, peering out of the window, watching the day take shape. I'm off to Carson City today where I'll be staying with Jenny; a member of the CouchSurfing community. Let's get this show on the road.

        The Churchill County Museum

The assistant sleeping on the job and snapping a quick picture of poor Moonie.

                           Deb!

No comments:

Post a Comment