Friday, July 12, 2013

Philosophical Findings and the Companionship of the Conscience

First and foremost, a big thank you to Derick and the Logans, Miss Dot, Mr. Stan, Aunt Dede, Uncle Wayne, Aunt Jinny, the Seabrooks, PopPop, and of course, my mama. I had a most wonderful Christmas thanks to all of you. It was the most awesome. I can't thank you enough or tell you how greatful I am of everyone's gratuitous gifts. You guys rule.

I woke up on the floor of Carly's house bright and early around 7. Carly had eggs, bacon, and homemade coffee going. Without hesitation, I started gathering my things. After I had all my stuff upstairs on the 1st floor, I helped Carly make the eggs. She had work at 8.

It was hard to say goodbye or attempt to convey my intense feelings of genuine love for her as she left for work. I said, "You're a wonderful individual", and squeezed her as hard as I could with my bear hug. 

Carly and I had an interesting conversation the evening before about the future of mankind (yeah, one of those). It was interesting though. I remarked that I saw two future options. One was globalization: an inevitable force sweeping up all the world's cultures into a global Capitalist Democracy. Or the second option I had never thought of until I met all these people on this journey. Perhaps, Capitalism will eventually lose its flavoring. I've learned that human beings have a genuine care and worry for other human beings that has almost always surpassed monetary value. I think that eventually, we won't need to measure our growth or happiness in property or wealth. Perhaps eventually, the love, community value, and the friendships we form will be all we need. Nice to think right? 

Carly thought that we would start all over again fairly soon. Like Mark Twain said about World War 3 being fought with sticks and stones. We're too smart for our own good and eventually Mother Nature's going to put us back in our place. I am always enthralled with wonder and amazement at these conversations. They can tell you a lot about people and their future in respect to how they see the world.

Today, I left Telluride and got ready for Christmas in Rico. Carly's roommates (Sarah and Ellie) made me aware that I would be climbing quite a bit today. I was heading up 10,300 ft. to Lizardhead Peak from Lawson Hills (8850 ft.). 

I met a guy by the name of Tony as I began my climb. I mistook him for a TransAm rider heading toward the East Coast. He had biked 60 miles that day to head to Telluride for their "Ride Festival" that night. I'd juusstt missed it. As we were talking, Duncan came riding up behind me. We would end up riding together to Rico... mostly. We built up some distance between each other at the downhill.

The downhill was almost like a metaphor for my life. As I panted my way to the peak of Lizardhead, I stood at the top and put my headphones into my ipod. I was ready to put on some "pump-up" music as I embarked onto the speedy downhill. However, the blistering pace I looked to achieve would never come. The 47 miles to Dolores was all downhill yet the angle was always so little that high speeds were never achieved. On my way down, I thought of how this is how a balanced and healthy life is like. There's no rush or need to hurry through life. As soon as I accepted that I could enjoy an average speed all the way to Dolores, I started enjoying the present scene around me.

So, Rico! 

Ellie (Carly's roommate) told me of a hot spring precisely right before you reach Rico. So, I got my packages from the post office, changed into my bathing suit, and headed down to the water to open the presents. Duncan joined... which was funny because only one kid got presents... but he was a good sport. I was happy he came down with me.

Duncan would leave the little spring area after two hours. I stayed for four hours just reading and swimming. I met about 7 people whom I shared my story with. The reactions are always awesome to see but I find myself overtaking the conversation with my story as opposed to theirs. I miss out. One fisherman named Travis wished me luck on my endeavours and drove away from the area. 20 minutes later, he came back and gave me a free beer, sandwich, and granola bar. I couldn't stop smiling and we waved like mad men at each other as he drove off. I could see that he was really happy and proud of himself for heavily influencing my day in a positive manner. Travis.. from Texas.

Eventually, I embarked upon the 35 miles on down to Dolores at 5. I had told Duncan earlier that day that I would be back on my own, away from the MS guys for awhile. I was beginning to get away from my initial reasons for doing this trip. Hanging out with the MS cyclists is amazing and fun. But I didn't sign up for fun, I'm here to learn. Things about the individual, and especially myself.

However, as I came down the mountain toward Dolores, I decided to spend one more day with the crew before I vanished. As I pulled into the campground, I ran into James, Sam, and Pete. I let them know my plan and they expressed understanding, sadness, and some worry. I'm going to miss all these guys. We each have our own path.

I spent the night watching "Dances With Wolves" with Peter. An appropriate film for the evening... I really am gonna miss these guys. 

Peace.





Leaving Telluride on the first, most steep part of the climb. Only about one mile into it. I met Tony minutes after this picture.

Lizardhead Pass was only about a mile past here. It was a beautiful scene.

Before the real climb started up to the peak, there was an absolutely breathtaking scenic overlook that Duncan and I stopped to take in.

A visual of the small grade downhill. Stoner was about 15 miles from Dolores.
One of the only pictures I took on the downhill.

2 comments:

  1. Ralph, your pictures are making me more determined to make it out west than ever. Beautiful. So glad you have this opportunity - stay safe and keep enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta check it out! Maybe not via bike but some way!

      Delete