Friday, June 14, 2013

10 Miles from Illinois

The room I slept in last night had no windows and was pitch black when I turned out the lights. Afraid that I would sleep through the day, I set an alarm for 730. The total darkness would not be a problem in the morning as the door to the room was outlined by the illumination of the rising sun. 

For breakfast, I had a can of peaches. I was walking out of the church precisely when all of the kids came charging down the steps for the last day of Vacation Bible School. They eyed me curiously, a few waved, and I gave a reassuring smile and wave back as I stepped outside.

Today was the first day I decided not to double up on cycling undergarments (twice the padding). I think it's safe to say my buttocks and I are maintaining a healthy relationship with each other again. We're very happy together.

The hills have almost entirely dissapeared since leaving the town of Dixon; about a 12 mile ride from Sebee. There's no wind, no heat, and no hills so it's just a very nice cruise-like pace. In the town of Clay, I stopped at a wonderful little restraunt with great service, food, and charming waitresses. 

Also, Sally made an interesting comment the other day on the dry county/no alcohol deal in Kentucky. Obesity and diabetes are huge issues down here, yet soda has free refills and gushes like a geyser from these restaurants. The sugar content and availability to children wreaks havoc on their future health. On the other spectrum, beer has nutritional value and what's the harm in a glass of wine? Eh, there are so many ways to counter obesity but if you grow up with poor health choices, you get stuck in that merry-go-round for your entire life... until you have a heart attack at age 45. There's a reason its hereditary; your parents teach you how to eat. As another Brit said, "Sure, McDonalds might be cheaper and the local farmer's market might be a few bucks extra but when you're getting a triple bypass on your heart for eating cheaply; it all comes full circle." Rant concluded.

Leaving Clay, the rolling hills appeared again and I encountered the shittiest roads I've seen yet. Within the first 10 minutes outside of Clay, I saw another cyclist heading my way; it was Ivan again. Poor Ivan had made the trek to Utica when he realized he didn't have his computer. He had to bike all the way back to Marion! A combined distance of 140 miles! He was still smiling and cheery (and slightly embarrassed) when he told me. He warned me about the roads ahead and proceeded toward Utica, which was still 70 or so miles away. 

Well, even with a warning of the roads I broke a spoke on my back wheel. It's not detrimental but I need to repair it at the nearest bike shop (80 miles?). Every quarter of a mile on this 11 mile stretch of pavement, there would be a curious 2 ft. gap in the pavement with a 2 inch drop. It was enough to fuck up your day. I was pissed, (evidently) mostly because I had no idea what the purpose of these crevices was. After I broke the spoke, I took it slow going on them.

I arrived at the Marion Methodist Church shortly after where I was greeted by Pastor Wayne Garvey. Now this was my kinda pastor. He had a great sense of humor, a really considerate and cordial personality, plus he didn't try to force his beliefs down my throat. He told me, "Now, there is a small fee." 

Swallowing my frugalness, I responded, "Oh yeah, of course. How much?"

"Well, you need to sign our guest book and allow me to take a picture of you."

Saawweeeettt. I broke out into laughter and Wayne showed me around the building. I dunno where the last few churches I've been get their funding but their doesn't appear to be a shortage. This truly is part of the Bible Belt. I've eaten ice cream to my heart's content and snagged another shower. Who needs hotels? 

Tonight is a curiously different evening. The twins, whom I've ridden with sporadically on the trail, are being visited by their other brother in Utica. This brother has a vehicle and the family dog. Not far behind Tom and Joe is our Irish friend, Garry. If all goes according to plan, all the boys should be back in town. We'll see how it plays out but tonight should be fun.

           The Dixon Justice Center

      Jeri's Cafe in the town of Clay.

The quite enormous Marion Methodist Church.

                      Fohs Hall

I got into a small argument with Pastor Bob yesterday about Kentucky's biggest cash crop. He said corn (pictured), I said tobacco. Turns out we were both wrong. It goes, in order: 1. Marijuana   2. Tobacco   3. Hay   4. Corn   5. Soy

5 comments:

  1. Ralph, I am a client/friend of your Dad. I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog and hearing of your daily adventures and experiences. Thanks for the witty and insightful commentaries on life and this great country of ours. Best wishes for a safe and successful journey! Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! It pleases me to see comments from readers. Glad you're enjoying it and I also hope you're enjoying the Southern Jersey sun.

      Delete
    2. Also, I saw you made a donation! Thank you so much Dan!

      Delete
  2. Ralph - when do you think you'll get to your mailbox? I have a package to send but don't want to miss you. Love Aunt Jinny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly? I'm still a good 5-6 days out I think. You'll be fine shipping it out

      Delete