Sunday, June 16, 2013

We'll Meet Again

Yesterday evening was absolutely, positively delightful. Tom, Joe, their friend Jordan, their brother Jon, and their trustee dog Wyatt drove two fucking hours just to come see me (what a crew, huh?). Upon arrival in their tiny four-door sedan, the obedient pitbull Wyatt promptly stepped outside the car, vomited onto the pavement and gleefully came bounding toward me. We sat outside in the grass for over an hour just sharing our stories and adventures experienced in the last week or so. I haven't had such a festive and social atmosphere since I left Cape May.

Eventually, we went to the local grocery store to gather supplies to cook at the Marion Methodist Church. We had an absolute feast for the small fee of $15 split between five people. Mixed vegetables, pasta, two giant salads, italian bread, and then ice cream for dessert. Just as we were sitting down to dig in, Kyle and Maggi arrived from their 70 mile trek from Utica. Dinner was served.

Laughs were abundant, smiles were plentiful, and the food was spectacular. We had the tiniest amount of leftovers and ate to our heart's content. We finished up the evening watching Netflix as we peacefully drifted into the unconscious. 

In the morning, Joe and I heated up waffles on a skillet because we couldn't find the toaster. Again, I was the happiest guy in the world. We said our goodbyes around 9 and I gave Joe a book I'd finished by Paul Auster for the road. I was on my way to cross into Illinois by 930. 

The 13 mile ride to the free ferry service took almost no time at all and after yesterday's day off, I was intoxicated with the freedom of new adventure once again. Arriving at the ferry, I chatted up a group of motorcyclists who were returning from a large motorcycle event in Cave In Rock, Illinois. The small town of 400 swells up to around 20,000 people for the gathering. The group of bikers were waiting for their friends to cross the Ohio River to go back home to Lexington, Kentucky. Soon enough, it was my turn to hop on board the vessel and we wished each other safe travels.

Entering Cave in Rock, I first visited the actual cave in the rocky side of the bluffs overlooking the river. Shortly after, I received a phone call from my Irish friend Garry. The conversation started like the old Budweiser commercials where Garry and I yelled, "Waazzzzaaahhhh!?" at each other for a solid 20 seconds. It was good to hear that distinguishable Irish dialect again.

From Cave In Rock, I ventured toward the next small town of Elizabethtown (pop. 250). I got lunch at a beat-up little restaurant that looked to be just barely holding on. The place next door was absolutely mobbed. I felt bad. After I had my hamburger and fries, I went down to a small pavilion overlooking the Ohio River to wait for the bloated mess in my stomach to digest. Laying down on a bench, I fell into a food coma. 

I woke up about an hour and a half later feeling groggy and not much better than I had before I fell asleep. However, as I began cycling again, I felt a renewed sense of energy and clearheadedness. I didn't stop until I reached a small town by the name of Simpson where I'm camped behind the church. I couldn't get in touch with anyone associated with the church but the woman who lives across the street insisted I'd be a-okay. She even brought a beer over and invited me back to her house (I refused). 

Tomorrow, I'll be in the big "city" of Carbondale where I'll get my bike checked out, get my tent poles, and enjoy the population surge.

It's agoin good.  

Joe and Tom's older brother Jon. Jon lives in Chicago and had driven around 14 hours to see his brothers. He was exceptionally kind to me the entire evening. Also, Jon is probably the most talented pianist I have ever personally known. I overheard him playing in the sanctuary and sat in awe for 20 minutes drifting away into the music.

Maggi and Kyle arrive for supper!

Crossing the Ohio River into Illinois.

Cave in Rock was originally a haven of thieves and robbers in the 18th century. They would start fires to lure passing vessels into the caves. Appearing charitable and kind at first to the weary travelers, they would then rob them blind.

                      I have arrived.

      Sun going down outside Eddyville.

The first impression of Illinois, geographically speaking, was that the hills were bigger. I'm still in heavy farmland and such but there still seems to be plenty of hills. 

               My mouth is watering...

No comments:

Post a Comment