Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Honest Abe and Arnold

I got the best sleep I've had for awhile last evening. Go figure. Right before I went to "bed", the park lights for the baseball field went out. I figured I should check out the stars while I was shrouded in darkness and in that one minute span, I saw a shooting star. I took it as a good omen for sleep. 

I met Erin this morning, Bethany's girlfriend, and chatted a bit after being up awhile. In the a.m. I am not a talkative person. I called the next closest hostel about 30-40 miles away and told the woman Lucy, I'd be there around 4. Traveling with a broken tent changes the game. However, I did call the makers of my tent and they're sending a free pole makeup to Goreville, Illinois; about 200 miles away. So in a couple days, I'll be camping again.

Today was a relatively easy bike ride so I was in no rush to leave Hodgenville. I learned absolutely everything there is to know about Abraham Lincoln in two days. I visited the Lincoln Museum, which was incredibly well-put together for a $3 ticket. The woman who managed the store; Charlotte, was an amiable and charming soul who could talk your ear off. I didn't mind listening, there was no rush. By the time I left the museum, I was still hungry for history so I ventured the 3 miles to Lincoln's birthplace at Sinking Spring Farm. The visuals accompanying the data made everything really easy to remember. Plus I'm a history major, so I love this stuff. My brain made room for the information and I think I have most of it filed under long-term.

As far as the ride today goes, it was a steady route on 84 West through fertile country lands. Everything was beautiful, green, and quiet... aside from the dogs still lurking for bicyclists. Time faded away once again until I ran into Lucy's grocery store, which she took care of with her husband, Arnold, and their daughter Lauren.

Talk about unbelievable folks. I was given a hot shower and ate dinner with the family. Before we ate, I played some softball with Arnold and his daughter. Absolutely terrific people. They do all this just out of the kindness of their souls. Arnold is absolutely hysterical. He has a flat nose, a bushy mustache, and a good dose of Irish in him hidden under his Kentucky roots. Lucy is at the helm of the family, keeping the ship on course and ensuring things don't get too silly. Their daughter Lauren is really something special. It's obvious her parents absolutely adore her and rightfully so; she's great with people and has a very level head on her shoulders... and she also has a great sense of humor. The kid's going places.

Midway through our pasta dinner, Bethany and Erin showed up. Not long after, a group of four cyclists from England and Finland arrived for spaghetti as well. Luckily, Lauren had cooked a ton and the family was more than happy to share. Like I said, they're a truly inspiring bunch. I think I've said this before but I ate the most I've ever eaten tonight. I became totally immobilized. Myriads of pasta went into my stomach. It was kind of absurd. I paid for it for the next three hours. 

After dinner, laughter seemed to be the dessert... for the entire evening. Bethany, Erin, and I really clicked this evening and we were nearly convulsing with amusement. When Lauren joined our little group, that was it. Her humor had us losing it as well until we made ourselves tired. No sooner had sleep entered my thought process, Arnold came in saying, "Alright, time to make ya'll pretty", and he shut off the lights. Time for bed. I'm going to try and get pictures of the family tomorrow but with their work schedule, it's unlikely. 

Peace.




This debate was about the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which left the choice of slavery up to the two state's inhabitants. Douglas supported it, Lincoln did not. It shot Lincoln into the limelight for Douglas was a well-known and respected politician. Circa 1854, I believe. Also, a little gossip: Douglas was originally courted with Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd. Talk about juicy.

A cool art gallery that showed Lincoln in a modern sense: a 3D portrait that I found really interesting. 

Once believed to be the original Lincoln log cabin; it is inside the stone monument at the top. There are 56 stairs leading up to commemorate Abe's 56 years of life.

The spring for which the farm is named.

Funny story about this picture...
        So I pass this old, abandoned school in the middle of nowhere and I immediately wanna check it out. I stick my bike in the bushes and walk up to the building. The first thing I notice is all of these filing cabinets or drawers, about 2 feet tall, lined up all along the outside of the school. I pay no mind to them and look for an open window. Up on one of the window ledges is another cabinet... and this one is infested with bees. I turn around to the other 20 cabinets about 15 yards away, and now see they're all bee hives: Initiate freakout. I turn to walk away and further toward the school - more cabinets. As I turn to face the little demons, I feel a sharp pinch on the back of my neck. The jolt sent my hand flailing onto the little bee and set my legs in motion. I was out of there fast as hell. Later, I found out Arnold's wife owns the land and allowed a neighbor to house his bees there. There had been a problem with vandalism before the bees but... not anymore.

           Sunset at my safe haven.

No tent means you face the elements... kinda. I still have a roof.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog Ralphie! You are meeting the greatest people and I feel almost like I'm riding right along with you :) Stay safe! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks aunt kimmy! It's nice to know I have some readers

      Delete