Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Leisurely Pace Assures a Content State

I woke up in the Anderson Dean Community Park to an absolutely gorgeous day outside. There was a slight breeze, just enough clouds, and a blazing beacon in the sky signaling morning. Despite being slow to get all my things together, I was on the road quickly around ten o'clock. I wanted to get my history urge satisfied before I left. After all, Harrodsburg was the first established white settlement in Kentucky in 1774, founded by James Harrod.

I found a replica of the old fort in the middle of town but it was closed for Sunday. However, there was also the church where Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks (parents of President Abraham Lincoln) were married in 1806.  Speaking of Sunday, before I entered the historical area, I got stuck for 30 minutes "debating" the meaning of life with a preacher by the name of Ken. Well he preached for 30 minutes while I listened until I noticed my day was being wasted. It was hard to get a word in but I politely declined his coming church service and instead opted for the more concrete, history. 

When I finally left Harrodsburg, the weather had taken a turn for the... more wet. The roads were quiet, scenic, and hilly while it took a good 7 miles for the rain to finally burst through the ominously black clouds overhead. Waiting under a tree as the droplets became smaller, I met two gentleman coming from the West.

John and Tyler were coming from the opposite direction; San Francisco. John was lean with blonde, shoulder length hair that was becoming slightly dreaded on the ends. Tyler had a rosy, more round face with a 2 inch beard and short, puffy hair. Both guys were really interesting to learn from even though they appeared noticably tired. They had left April 7. John gave a sticker with his blog site and a slogan reading: "A Positive Mindstate in Every State." I read it this evening.

With a goal of the Lincoln Homestead State Park, I didn't have a very difficult day of riding today. I passed through the very small towns of Mackville and one other which escapes my memory. Arriving absolutely sopping wet into the picnic shelter of the park, I had accidentally stumbled into a family lunch.

However, the family lunch had just concluded. The smell of fried chicken wafted into my nostrils. As the families said goodbye to one another, I couldn't help but feel a bit ostracized from interacting because of the rudeness of my entrance to a private occasion... but I wasn't going to sit in the rain.

As the last family piled into their car, they put their, maybe 2 year old daughter in the backseat. She seemed to be unaware of my unsaid taboo and frantically waved at me from the fogged up window. I gave an enthusiastic wave back as she started bobbing her entire body to and fro. Mimicking her movements, I could see her grin get bigger and the rocking get faster until she disappeared within her vessel. It was one of those moments.

I took a short nap as the rain continued to fall heavily around my oasis in the desert... although I wasn't in the desert... and rain wa-- you get the metaphor. Eventually, I leisurely made the short walk over to the Lincoln Homestead Museum.  I stumbled upon a small building that almost seemed forotten next to the popular golf course. Inside, a man was talking to two other tourists.

This man knew everything there was to know about the entire Lincoln lineage. He spoke fact after fact until after five minutes, my mind was spinning. It was $2.50 to see the inside of the buildings/replicas on the grounds and free to just read the signs. Impressed by his knowledge of the place and distraught by the relative "decay" of history as a communal interest, I forked over my currency/symbol of worth. I ventured through the area. 

So this was the actual location where Lincoln's original parents were married whereas the church I had seen earlier had been moved from this very spot. It was all very, very interesting stuff. 

Early to bed for me tonight. It's been a solid day of some biking, some rain, some history, and nice mental and physical leisure.

Adios... Oh! Almost forgot. If anyone would like to send me a letter, something personal or just some good, energy bars. Please write to this post office address that I'll be passing through shortly.

Ralph Johnson
1321 Swanwick St
Chester, IL 62233-9999

The 9999 is really important because it says that the package is for General Delivery, meaning I'll be picking it up.

Thanks everyone!!! ✌😁😁❤❤👍🌞🌎🌈🌊💝🎁✉🍎🍏🍊

Ps. I finished a book called simply, "The Book" by Alan Watts that was... well... Life altering. You should check it out. I'm reading it again. I don't do that often.

The church Nancy Hanks and Thomas Lincoln were married in. The actual pieces of the church were maneuvered and reconstructed for a mere $200. Harrodsburg, ky.

                          Rainwear.

Thomas would remarry a year after Nancy's death from "milk poisoning" in 1816. Honest Abe never got along with his father, not even attending his funeral. However, his step-mother played a beneficial role in Abe's life.

The apparent, original bed of Nancy Hanks. Ehh I was skeptical.

Part of the trail at Lincoln Homestead.

3 comments:

  1. I was hoping that family would share chicken with you.:( Hope you had no more bike tire troubles today. I am sending you some goodies. xoxo mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph - when do you think you'll get to Chester? I want to send something but don't want to miss you! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete