Monday, June 3, 2013

Difficult Climbs and Rewarding Descents

I got out of bed around 930 after originally waking up at 6 to see the sunrise. However, upon only seeing clouds, I dove back into the sack and passed out for several more hours. When I got ready to leave, I said my goodbye to Malcolm who offered me a shot (which I had actually prepared for) and accepted it to not seem rude. And because what the hell? 

Hitting the road, I made my way down to Meadowview where I stopped to refill my water in the center of town from a spicket. Two older men were sitting in rocking chairs conversing. They told me to let the faucet run a bit for extra cold water. We chatted for a bit and as I was leaving, they asked me where I was headed for the day. Upon telling them Council, they said, "Are you following SR 80 West?" 

"Why yes I am", I replied.

They exploded into maniacal bouts of cackling. "Boy, do you know what to expect that way?" 

"Nope, and I don't want to know" I said.

"Well, it'll make for a nice downhill at the end. That's all I'm gonna say."

Before I began heading up Hayden's Gap, I stopped by a creek to have a snack and get in the right frame of mind. I meditated by the river and felt really focused afterward; my breathing had slowed and made the biking a bit easier. The climb of Hayden's Gap was steep. I still panted like a dog the entire way up and may have set my own personal record for the amount of sweat perspired in an allotted time. However, as the man said, the downhill was amazing. It wasn't Vesuvius but speeds were up there. The road was a little more damaged then Vesuvius so I was more careful.

Shortly after Hayden's Gap, I rode into the Old Elk Methodist Church where bikers were able to stay for the night. I looked for Tom and Joe but there was no sign of them. Since it was still early, I decided I would gather myself, refuel and head for Coucil which was a good 20 miles away. Again, there was a steep ascent up a mountain. And again, the descent was awesome! It's funny that all of the cursing, panting, and loss of enthusiasm going up these mountains is immediatelly redeemed upon heading downhill. 

I cruised into the William P. Harris Park in Council, VA and set up my tent. For dinner, I had a granola bar with peanut butter. I also had soda, which is going to rot out my mouth if I don't take it easy on the stuff. Another really great day. 

Cycling all my stress away. 

          Snack time and meditation.

    Again, I don't how the panoramas look. This is right after the descent of Hayden's Gap.

   Rest stop in Rosedale. The South's biggest cash crop.

                      Honaker, Va

  William P. Harris Park is huuggee... And eerily empty.

     I think I chose a good spot to camp.

1 comment:

  1. keep on truckin, raplhie j almost in Keeeentucky!

    ReplyDelete