Sunday, June 2, 2013

When You Pay for the Circus, Do You Stay for the Whole Thing?

I think my circadian rhythm is finally correct. I woke up at 8 this morning to a rather unsettling dream and spoke to my best bud Mike. It was a pleasant wake-up. However, mother nature didn't feel the same way. Forecasts for the day indicated thunderstorms and rain all day. A glance out the window told me what I already knew. 

I walked down to the lobby and asked the manager Chang Cheng Chen (that's really his name; Taiwanese) if I could delay checkout past eleven. He said, "Sure, sure! But I need to charge you past eleven." So I elected to take a rest day... And I am incredibly restless. It's funny, I'm so adapted to cycling that this motel seems rather unnatural. It's difficult to "enjoy" myself.

Around mid afternoon I set my chair outside to read when a person across the parking lot waved me over. I reluctantly went over and met the kindest man named Malcolm. I reached out and shook his arthritic-ridden hand. The guy's had a really tough life but he seemed to be making the best of it. We ended up conversing for over an hour and a half, talking of life, philosophy, and... Everything. However, it wasn't long before our conversation was interrupted by his "friends" Jesse and Greg. These guys immediately triggered my intuition. From the twitching, senseless conversation, and drug-addled symptoms, it didn't take me long to realize I shouldn't get too comfortable. I wouldn't usually write about something like this but it's not all roses and sunny days out there. It's important to be aware  of the good and bad. I found that smiling and nodding made them okay with me but I'm staying in my room for the rest of the day.

I called my dad today and while I was on the phone, I saw my buddies Joe and Tom come flying through the rain. I leapt out of my chair and waved my arms to and fro. They pulled over to the motel and we caught up on our recent adventures. We chatted for awhile until, again, we were interrupted by Jesse's mindless ranting. Joe and Tom left but not before we shared a lot of smiles, laughs and good tales. The plan is for us to reunite tomorrow close in a city called Rosedale where the lodging is free again :). 

So I actually didn't anticipate even writing a blog today but it seems I've "adapted" to doing this as well. It's a nice way of getting all my thoughts out while doing this whole trip "solo". I appreciate everybody reading, it's encouraging. 

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment