Thursday, June 6, 2013

Onward!

This morning, I woke up around 830 after waking up several times during the night. Breakfast from David more than made up for it. There was strawberry shortcake, fresh oranges, apples, bananas, cold cereal, orange juice, coffee, bread, and a slice of orange cake. David was great company to talk to about the neighborhood, wildlife, his cats, and of course the coming trail. With NPR radio playing in the background, he gave me some helpful pointers on where to go. I felt great hitting the road this morning.

I biked into Hazard today, one of Kentucky's larger towns with a population of about 5,000. The appearance of the town suggested economic hardship and the buildings resembled a shantytown. I did some history homework.

Hazard is the central area in Kentucky for the coal trade. However, when the Appalachia's were still populated by the early pioneers, foreign investors bought up almost all of the mineral rights when the mountain men were still just getting used to having cash, and eager to acquire more. Since then, nothing has changed. Major corporations still own most of the mineral rights and the hard-working Joe's don't make jack from the dangerous labor. To make matters worse; health and environmental problems are abundant in the area from strip mining and the burning coal mines. There was actually a "boiling water hazard" because the local water was temporary polluted from the mining. It's rather depressing to see the conditions.

Also, I don't mean to complain but I haven't  received any (Edit: Logging in this morning, I had 4 that I was unaware and 2 new ones from yesterday :)) of donations for The Conservation Fund. Just throwing that out there... now I feel like an ass.

Anyway, after stopping at a KFC (bad idea), I left Hazard and ventured down a busy intersection until I ran into a sign saying "Booneville 36 miles". I was sad. I thought I was much closer to my destination than I was. Progress was slow but those 36 miles were quiet, scenic, and serene. I wasn't as talkative or social today but I still met smiling faces in the few stores I took refuge in. 

With nothing left in the tank at 730 at night, I rolled into the Booneville Presbyterian Church and met two other bikers. Maggie, 19 and Kyle, 23 from Vermont. Kyle wasn't really as talkative (understandably so, long day) but Maggie and I chatted all night about our adventures so far. She's a musician and came from the Burlington area. We shared snacks by our tents in the little picnic area behind the church. She even smokes cigarettes (badass) while biking. How? I have no idea. We were sad to learn that we're in a dry county so no cold beers for us, which isn't a bad thing.

Tomorrow, I might set a goal for Berea, which is were they're heading. Berea is one of Kentucky's cities so it would be nice to get out of "bat country". I think I shall. Whatever though. I'll see where the road takes me. 

Dwarf, KY. About 7 miles before Hazard. 400 population, all families have ties since it was founded in the late 18th century. Actually, the original 5 or 6 families all still basically live there.

   Shortly after the "Booneville, Super Far Away" sign.

This is actually a road specifically made for ambulances to enter coal mines. They're in every coal mine... Not your average job. 

6 or 7 miles out of Booneville. I got rained on shortly after.

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I did contribute to the conservation fund - but didn't see anything about letting you know it. The other fund had your name there, this one did not, unless i missed it. (which is very possible). So people may be contributing and you aren't notified. Miss you. xoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We contributed too Ralphie. And don't feel like an ass for asking for donations - it's for a good cause

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I saw that shortly after. Thanks a bunch Aunt Kimmy!

    ReplyDelete