Friday, June 7, 2013

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

First and foremost, a huge thank you to Dave Hand, Mark Sansone, Walter Bradhering, and my family for the donations toward the Conservation Fund yesterday. Mark, you have a heart of gold, my friend. I'll be at Joey's sooner than later, you can count on that. Dave, I shall be seeing you very soon in California, my friend. You'll have to show me around. Walter, I don't think I know you and that makes the donation even cooler. Respect. Annie, mama, papa, and Aunt Kimmy; thanks for supporting me.

Aight, back to the grind.

Waking up behind the Booneville Presbyterian Church was slow as usual but I did get out at 10. Maggi and Kyle went to get breakfast in town around 930. I hit the road with my tunes grooving. The first 15 miles weren't bad but I suddenly hit a wall (or a hill) shortly later. Taking my time, I eventually made it to the first "restaurant" I saw in the town of McKee. Eating at DQ had me basically glued to my chair with all of the wonderful fats swirling around in my stomach for almost two hours. It was a nice two hours though. When I finally felt like I could move, I proceeded outside where I met a kindred soul by the name of Donnie Johnson.

Probably in his mid 50's, Donnie had a weathered face with ice blue capillaries spreading across his cheeks and the ever-popular beer gut sported by many older Kentuckians. He told me the route up to Berea wasn't too bad with several hills to watch for. When I asked what to expect in the next town of Sandgap, he lit up exclaiming, "Why, I grew up there, Let's see." As he proceeded to tell me what sort of "attractions" were up there, many of them were followed by, "Come to think of it, that's no longer there either." When I got to Sandgap, Kentucky's culture and economy kind of jumped out at me. I got to thinking.

The only real local businesses I've encountered that are still somewhat working are small ice cream parlors (which 80% of the time I am unable to pass by without splurging) and mechanic/automobile shops. Other jobs are mostly corporate owned fast food joints, dollar stores or the mine shafts. Even (especially) restaurants have a hard time making it because the cheaper fast food counterparts are easier on the wallets of many poverty stricken residents. 

 Passing through Sandgap after talking with Donnie was seeing the economic toll happening in real time. He had noted there was one gas station left of the previous three, and when I got to it, it had very recently closed its inside shopping area. Now, I attempted to find why the automobile industry was so prevalent in Kentucky. Here's my theory.

I think when the Ford T came out, places in the West were one of the last to get their hands on an automobile. When they did, I believe it was an absolute godsend. With such hilly terrain and difficulty with horses, the vehicle was able to lug all of the industrial coal, timber, and people up and down these big hills. I think this is also why man and his masculine, working identity; the truck, get along so intimately.

Anyhow, the bike ride up to Berea wasn't bad at all. I got ice cream in Sandgap (my godsend) and had a really nice interaction with a guy who couldn't believe I'd biked from New Jersey. He was all smiles and laughs wishing me a good trip. 

Another kinda funny part of the day was when I was biking up a hill attempting to remember Donnie from DQ. I was saying his name out loud for memory purposes and yelled, "Donnie! Donnie Wahlberg! Wahlberg! Mark Wahlberg!" As I looked to my left around the bend, a family of 5 was seated on their lawn staring at me nervously. They had definitely heard me. Attempting to assure them of my sanity, I gave a wave, which was followed by a blank stare. As I was still waving, I lost control of the bike and veered off the road into the grass. Cutting my losses, I accepted the unfortunate interaction that will probably leave a Southern Kentucky family with mixed feelings about cyclists.

So! I made it to Berea. I'm staying at a campground where cyclists get a discount and can camp for a mere $7. I stopped in at the Berea College to look around and hopefully will be able to learn more about its history tomorrow morning before I leave.

Cheers!



One of numerous down-and-out gas stations/restaurants in the area. History breathes in this one.

There might be more churches than houses down here. I am in the heart of the Bible Belt South. This church stole the same quote I'd seen on another church's billboard about 30 miles earlier. 

A rest stop in a town called Big Hill, KY. I dreaded this place all day because I thought I'd have to climb it. Turns out, it was one of the longest, most scenic downhills I've had yet. 

A poor picture of Berea College. As I left, it suddenly occured to me I hadn't taken any pictures of it so I rushed this.

    Meadowland Campgrounds in Berea.



Fun Fact: I had no idea Kentucky was on the Union side during the Civil War. Sorry Pops, I know you're cringing right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment