Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Brain Melter

Garry and I both woke up around 9ish but he hit the road about an hour before me. We both said our farewells and acknowledged we might not see each other again. Maaaan, was it hot today. 25 miles down the road in Buchanan, the local bank had the temp. reading at 95*. Before Buchanan, I attempted to see the Natural Bridge.

It was $21 to look at a natural landmark made from Earth. It was downright wrong. I was so incredibly disappointed. On top of all that, the region milked the landmark for all it was worth, (more than $21) with hotels, zoos, gift shops, and museums for the thing. 

So eventually, before my brain melted inside of my skullcap, I got to Buchanan where I ran into Tom, Joe, and Garry. Joe told me that the Dutch couple had passed them coming into town, which I could not believe. We all determined that we were staying in the local park of Troutsville about 20 miles away from Buchanan.

Midway to Troutsville, I ran into the Dutch couple and shared a nice ride with them for a few miles before I ventured ahead. Upon arrival in Troutsville, the park manager Cecil gave us a rundown of the area and stated he could drive us into town if we wanted food. We did just that, but not before Garry and I hit the bar and had a nice, cold beer to cool ourselves down. The Fire Department across the street also let us use their shower. There's also a couple staying in the park who hadn't been in a town for 9 days while hiking the Appalachian Trail. They're entering month 9 on the trip. 

You meet some real characters on the road

                             No.

                Crossing Lee Parkway

      Ahhhh, nothing more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment