Thursday, May 30, 2013

More Incredibly Awesome People. Still No Axe Murderers.

I woke up incredibly early this morning around 8 to a horrible nightmare that had to do with my family wanting to send me away to China because of the immense shame I brought them. However, as I opened my eyes, I remembered I was still on the road. I remember looking over and seeing Garry's tent, then looking over again maybe 20 minutes later and he was gone. It was time for me to start the day.

Tom and Joe were also nowhere to be seen. It was nice being back on my own timetable. Around 9, children from the local school started flooding the park. They eyed me up curiously - especially when I went to brush my teeth in the water fountain. It reminded me of yesterday when two little girls walked up to Joe and asked, "Mr. Are you homeless?" And then questioned, "What would you do if an owl flew down and bit your tongue?" Joe and I had to give the kids credit for their creativity.

As I was packing up the last of my things, I surveyed the map. Today was a grueling climb up into mountainous terrain but there looked to be a shortcut straight to Christianburg. As if reading my mind, Cecil walked over to me and asked what I was looking at. I told him what I was thinking and he assured me the shortcut would be okay today due to low traffic and the day of the week. So, I took the shortcut

 Although "shorter", the ride was still about 50 miles long. A lot of that was next to interstates and... not biking roads. A big shout out to all the drivers who swiched lanes to avoid my ass today. Thanks for not sending me through the air! 

The goal for the day was Christianburg, VA where I would be staying with Tony whom I met on a website called "couchsurfing". He said he'd probably get off work around 530 so I took my time reaching the destination. I'm glad I did. Once again, the heat was sweltering, hard-to-breathe Virginia humidity. 

At one point biking along a backroad, I saw in the distance what looked like two bikers. Was it a mirage? Upon closer inspection, it was two female bikers whom I would introduce myself to. Enter Jess and Liz; two ladies who were out of college and had worked at a rehab facility. They were being melted by the heat as well. I stopped, chatted, and as I left, they followed. Very shortly after, I stopped to take a dip in a stream while they went ahead. I would run into them again further up the road and we would chat; very pleasant people.

I would eventually make it to Tony's house at almost the same exact time he got home from work. Right upon arrival, he offered me some water. We meshed immediately. I found out he was born in Akron, Ohio and moved to Virginia to further study for his career as a doctor. Conversation came without any difficulty or strain and he was the nicest guy I could've ever imagined. I met his brother in law as well. Tony gave me a shower and started cooking spaghetti. Ahh, there was peppers, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and sauce. I've never eaten so much. He even helped me to some candy and home-made dessert. The wife is out of town so it's just the boys. Currently, we're hanging out on the couch, eating candy, and watching Wallace & Gromit. 

Tony is thee man.

          Salem, VA Historical Museum

          Nice downhill just before Salem

           Very close to jumping in this

                    Sunset at Tony's

                            Tony!

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record, no shame here. We are not sending you to China. However, we ARE sending you to India for fall semester. xoxox mom

    ReplyDelete