Monday, May 27, 2013

In the Quivering Forest

Today... Absolutely amazing. I saw some of the most breathtaking sights that I have ever seen in my life. The feelings that pumped through my heart and coursed through my veins were of utter fantasy. I've never quite felt as spectacular or spiritual as I did today. The fact that I was able to share it with my friends Garry, Tom, and Joe made it that much more special. Today, I fucking conquered a mountain. 

I was quick to note yesterday evening that I didn't feel like sharing much but I feel different today. I stayed at June Curry's house last night in the backyard with Garry, Joe and Tom. Garry met me there about 2 hours before Joe and Tom would arrive so we bought a beer and food for delivery. Joe and Tom made use of the rice and were kind enough to share their ramen noodles/tuna with Garry and I's insatiable hunger. It was a delightful evening spent socializing and chatting inside the famous "Cookie Lady's" house. 

The woman was renowned amongst pedaler's for her kindness to cyclists by allowing them to stay and eat in her house. However, she passed away in July 2012. It was eerie to be in her house with so much history. In fact, a guy by the name of Ralph came by the old house to find his card he left in the 80's, when he was on the trail. Current owner Hope Moore allowed us to camp on the grouds.

So, the next morning Garry, Tom, and Joe would leave the house in Afton ahead of me at 10 and 11 respectively. I would say  I left around 1130. Today was hyped up as one the hardest and most grueling routes of the TransAmerican Trail: The Blue Ridge Parkway. The trip began middway up Afton Mountain and ended at Vesuvias. Elevation in the mountain peaked around 3600 feet. Some of the lookout points were just stunning. Absolutely magnificent views pf tiny homes, cars that looked like ants, and a field of vision that stretched for hunderds of miles. The views totally rewarded the effort needed to ascend these mountains. It was tiring. 

Halfway through the trip, I ran into Tom and Joe at the Humpback Rocks Visitor's Center. I explored the old history of the parkway and how it took over 200 years for the first settlers to get this far west. Around one of the lookout points in 20 Minute Lookout point, I ran into Garry.   We decided to do the whole segmet to our current position, the town of Vesuvius. The 3 mile descent down into the town was thrilling. Bike speed was reaching (I'm estimating here) 25-30 mph, at least. The entire 3 miles was just a winding, howizontal drop down the mountain. Finally, I came buzzing into Vesuvius. Looking at my map in the church parking lot, a man drove in as well.

Enter Rick Shemehorn, known as a "trail angel". This guy was incredible. He said he heard the dogs barking because of the bike, and said I could camp behind the church. Stating there were others descending the mountain, he offered to drive back to notify the others of the place to sleep. Rick and I got Garry, Tom, and Joe just entering Vesuvius. Then, the guy offers to drive all of us into Lexington because he needs groceries. We got Chinese Buffet! Went to Walmart! And got a tour of Virginia Military Institute and the town of Lexington! The man was truly an angel. After all of this, he invited us back into his home to wash our clothes and have showers. 

We got back to camp no more than an hour ago and today has been amazing. This trip has been amazing. People are amazing. I'm excited for tomorrow; what I'll see, who I'll meet, and how I'll feel. My body likes me again, I believe. Little aches, and the muscles are adjusting nicely. 

I had one of the best days of my life today. Bold statement.



          Pictures don't do it justice. 

One segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway. 
              Virginia Military Institute
Rick is in there, rather poor picture. He's driving
    Garry, Joe, and Tom unpacking after the trip.

1 comment:

  1. God is good. Plus I'm very happy about shower & laundry. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete