Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Slight Detour

I woke up the latest as per usual around 930 to Tom and Joe preparing to takeoff. I think my apathetic morning blues rubbed off on Garry because he didn't get out until 1130. I left shortly after him and would pass him on the way to Lexington. 20 miles later, I stopped to survey my phone and where I was, thinking, "I should've been in Lexington by now". As i'm looking at it, I hear an Irish dialect yell from behind, "Don't stop now, we're nearly there!"

Garry and I pedaled a couple miles before we both felt pretty strongly we were off route (we both got lost...on the same day, at the same time). Doubling back was not fun at all. Eventually we made it back on track and into the city of Lexington. We stopped at a bike shop to see if we could fix some minor problems on our bikes (of course, we couldn't) and then asked where the nearest Subway was. We were fiending for a soda and cheap sub. Almost deliriously, we trudged the couple blocks there.

Garry and I spent most of the day replenishing ourselves from the merciless Virginia humidity. I gotta say, it's really nice having him around. Despite the fact I still like biking and doing all this solo, Garry and I have really hit it off. The guy is humorous, adventurous, lighthearted, and easy to talk to. We've had a great many conversations. Tonight, we're staying at a campground that's 3 miles from one of "the seven wonders of the world", Virginia's iconic "Natural Bridge". We'll see that tomorrow.

One of these days, Garry and I will split up but for now, it's nice having somebody to hangout and socialize with. Especially if it's a crazy, old Irish kook on a bike. He's in good company.


                Outside of Lexington.

          Some cool graffiti in Lexington

Stonewall Jackson's gravy: the man, the    myth, the legend.

2 comments: