Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'm in Heaven

I'm currently in Glendale, VA at the Willis First United Methodist Church. I have the whole building to myself and Pastor Mark told me to help myself in the kitchen. I got a sleeping bag in the bible study room and Veggie Tales on the tube. It don't get no betta.

I biked out of Williamsburg this morning around 11 and went down the Colonial Parkway. No further than 5 miles on the road, I noticed two people on bikes bogged down with bags 0.o; Friends! I rang my little bell and pulled up alongside them. It was Willam and Ellie from the Netherlands beginning the TransAmerican trail at the ripe ages of 67. Willam and I conversed for miles before they pulled off to head into Jamestown. They both had been principals in the Netherlands and he had grown up in Rotterdam. It wasn't their first biking adventure; these two were seasoned veterans.I don't think his wife knew much english for I only heard her speak in Dutch. They were lovely people though, I hope I run into them again. 

After stopping at a glassblowing place in historic Jamestown to grab a bite to eat. I hopped onto the Capital Trail, which is a work in progress for TransAmerican bikers so they can stay off the highway. However, cyclists still have to use the highway... Which made me a tad uneasy with no shoulder but alas, all went well. 

More or less, I was on that road all day stopping occasionally to eat and drink. Ohh maan, I almost forgot to mention (i'm tired) how humid and hot it was today. I literally tried to bike in the shade whenever I could. I consumed copiooouusss amounts of liquids today. I don't know if anyone knows how much I sweat but today was outta control. No worries though, I'm staying hydrated. Buying another water bottle tomorrow as well. 

I also need to mention that when I got to the church around 6, there were two ladies knitting who were more than happy to show me around. The real treat though was the choir practice that went on about an hour later. They're joke was that they spend more time laughing than singing but man, they're singing soothed my soul. And the laugher, that was contagious as well.

Well alright, one of my favorite Veggie Tales moments is coming up so I'm going to curl up and enjoy that. Adios. 



    Ahh, the lovely Colonial Williamsburg

       Around Jamestown. Today, it certainly didn't look like the death trap of starvation and diseases that it was in 1607.

                          Capital Trail

  My favorite: the Willis First United   Methodist Church

3 comments:

  1. Ralph - can't believe you are actually doing this! Way to go! Stay safe and if you are in the San Diego area, I can hook you up with a hot shower, good food, and very good friends! Love ya, Aunt Jinny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Jinny! Much appreciated. Love you too

      Delete