Monday, May 20, 2013

Not My Favorite Day

I woke up today feeling much better. I popped some advil, packed up my gear, got a salad (nutritional error 1) and hit the road. Before I left though, I thanked the owner John for discounting me both nights, always greeting me as a friend, and heeding to my bedridden self. The man was awesome.

So I hit the road and traveled onto Seaside Rd. that ran parallel to the major highway. I thought I would find food somewhere, I was terribly wrong. However, I did meet a lovely woman named Cheryl at a church where I stopped to get water and she got me ice and walked me around the building. Later on this godforsaken road shortly before I thought I might start hallucinating, I met two gratuitous ladies who gave me these knockoff gatorade pouches when I was looking for water. These things gave me the strength to make it to the next Mcdonalds about 5 miles down the road.

After Mickey D's, I learned I was only a few miles away from the tunnel so I geared up and headed down the highway until I was 3 miles away. Parking my bike against a sign for the toll, I went hobo status with a cardboard sign reading "will pay toll". I don't think the orange marker was visible. After waiting for half an hour, and even dancing with the sign for a bit, I decided I was done. So I called the police. Yes, because people should pick me up. No, because the Chesapeke Bay Bridge has their own police force and they take bikers over the bridge.

I met the coolest guy named Earnie who told me all about his family, and especially his daughter that he was working hard to put into graduate school.  We had a really really cool conversarion for the 20 mile ride. After the bridge, I biked to First Landing State Park where I am now.

Excuse me though, I need to pass out. 



   John provided the Southern hospitality.

        Forgot to mention, I entered an old abandoned high school built in 1934. Central Hign School in Acomac (?) County.

   Entering the state park over the bridge.

4 comments:

  1. This is nothing short of awesome; good luck pal, I'll be sure to stalk this site vigorously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud! I shall try to make sure my prose is... gud.

      Delete
  2. did you "enter" the abandoned building through that open window on the right?... ;) great pic xoxo

    ReplyDelete