Thursday, May 23, 2013

Steady as She Goes

I left the church late in the afternoon today because of an early downpour that lasted a good hour and a half. As I finally went outside to get the last of my things on my bike, a car pulled up with a woman who was unlocking the door to go in. I greeted her with a smile and just as I got ready to leave, I saw two bikers coming down the road weighed down with things. The two 25 year old twins greeted me with a smile and told me their names... Which I immediately forgot. One was named James, I know that. They were staying at the church for the rest of the day. I started gushing about how much they were going to enjoy themselves. We had a nice little conversation and I learned they had met the same Dutch couple I had. I said goodbye and pedaled across the parking lot. In the distance, two more bikers pedaled into view.

Immediately, I knew it was my Dutch friends. I could see Willam squinting and leaning forward for a better look and it made me smile to hear him cheer my name as he pulled closer. They had left at 9 that morning (it was now 1) and waited out the rain in one of the Richmond battlefield areas. I traveled with them for a mere 2 miles or so before  they stopped for liquids. With sorrow, we said goodbye as we both thought it would be the last time we would see each other but... ya never know. 

It was a very scenic and historical bike ride through forests and small suburban neighborhoods. All over the road were memento's of the Union's invasion and attempt to capture the Confederate capital of Richmond in 1862. However, General Lee would beat back Mcclellan's forces and the Union army would not be back into the area until 1864. It was interesting stuff.

So, as with most days, I just biked and listened to music... And I loved it. It's funny to finally be able to tell people I'm going to California and they don't think I'm crazy because they know about the trail. However, as I found out at a rest stop, some people still think I'm "doggawn fuckin crazy". So eh, whatever.

Going to try to get up earlier than I have been tomorrow. Goodnight.

 

       My Friends from the Netherlands

          One of the numerous battlefields

  Idk if you can read it but this guy was killed right around the church I had stayed the night before about 20 miles back down the road.

 

    Waited out another downpour here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment