Saturday, May 18, 2013

Virginia

Ugh, hurting right now. Today was... Miserable? Exciting? Wet. It rained ALL day from the time I got on my bike until the time I stepped into this motel (yeeaahh, thought i might reward myself). 

2 hours into the ride, I stopped at a nice looking sandwich shop on a corner. Shivering, I went in and ordered a hot ham & cheese sandwich. The ladies in there advocated heading east some 20 miles and getting a "nice, warm hotel with television and a shower". They had me fully convinced. The only problem was that it was 20 miles off my path. The next hotel closest on my path was 50 miles south. So, I elected to go south.

I must say, whatever was in that ham and cheese brightened my spirits. Mostly though, the people are who get me rejuvenated. On the road, passing cars always give a friendly wave. It's encouraging to see that even people in vehicles respect somebody biking in the rain with a shitload of stuff. People sitting on their porches always give a friendly nod or wave. Even the horses and birds I pass by seem to be intrigued. Actually, horses are terrified of the little classic bell on my bike.

Also, just from biking and staring at the white line in front of me, I made a mental (strangely philosophical) note of the grass overtaking the road. No matter how permanent or divine we believe the human purpose to be, the earth does not care. It will disintegrate and break down all things we create. It's naive to believe the earth is here for our consumption. We are here because of the earth. If we continue to do damage to it then quite simply, it will "get tired". Anyway, that's enough of my torrent. 

The weather out here only appears to be getting worse :/. Gonna see how I should prepare for tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!



          One of countless wheat fields

    Ham and cheese with 2 lovely ladies

          My safe haven for the evening

No comments:

Post a Comment