Friday, May 17, 2013

Making my Downtown... Walking Fast...

No, of course that wasn't a Vanessa Carlson lyric... Anyway, I got outta Suffolk, DE around 930? I think? I've been killing my phone battery plus I thought I'd rather be ignorant to it in case I didn't get as far as I'd like. 

I rode down the Coastal Highway on a rather barren road aside from glimpses of the beach and birds. I was pedaling with a big old grin on my face as I listened to mahbai Kevin Hebron's band, Abilities. However, it wasn't long until I pedaled my way into Ocean City, Maryland.

Gas emissions, engines, and tons of traffic greeted my senses. Thankfully, Ocean City has a bike+bus lane so I was riding all by myself. Apparently, today or this weekend is a HUGE car rally. Spectators lined the road for miles, taking pictures of all the unique vehicles. I felt pretty goofy in my very own lane, pedaling as hard as I could amongst these specially crafted gas guzzlers. Nonetheless, there was a certain feeling of smugness being the only person who's fuel was themselves.

After getting out of Ocean City, I headed west looking for this mystical bike trail on my map. It began in Berlin and went two different routes. One was exceptionally long, the other rather short and direct. After asking a local post office lady (who was super nice) she pointed to the ground in front of me. These little seagull shapes were spray painted on the ground to be followed. Well, you guessed it, I accidentally followed the long one. A sixth of the way on that, I decided to cut across to the shorter one. Wrong.

Eventually, I gave up on this supposed bike trail and just navigated most of the main roads until I reached my current position: the beautiful Pocomoke State Forest.

As with everything, many ups and downs today. Just another day. And a lovely one at that.

                The Car Rally in OC

               Follow me to oblivion

          The quiet of rural Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment